Monday, May 10, 2010

Week 35

It is hard to believe that we are at the last story in our reading series. It is an informational fiction piece called "Baboon." Parts of this story are made up but parts give information about different African animals. The phonics skill is /oo/ making the sound it does in the word cool. The new vocabulary is:
against
careful
fine
quietly
shook

Math for the rest of the year will be a review.

Let me give you the schedule for the rest of the year. On Thursday we will be having Dome Day. Feel free to come watch in the stands if you haven't signed up to help. Your child will need a lunch. If you didn't order one, it is too late to do that. Please also try not to make any changes in bus arrangements for that day. Those who walk or are picked up will be bussed back to the school to meet you. Please do not pick up at the dome unless you are there watching or helping. It is too hard to sort out all the kids.

We will be walking to Ramsey Park on May 18th. I have several parents who will walk with us. Your child will need a lunch. There will be no lunches furnished from the cafeteria. I you can, please come join us for a bit at lunch. We will probably eat about 11:30. We will walk back to the back of the dome to catch a ride back to school on the bus.

I need a signed permission slip for both of the above mentioned activities!!! If your child doesn't have one, they will have to stay at school.

To say that AR has been a success this year is an understatement. I have never had this many kids earn this many awards. They are breaking me and it has been worth every cent!!! They have been incredible and have turned into AMAZING readers. My DIBELS scores are the best I've ever had. They have been so self motivated that I could almost just sit back and watch it happen. It is truly a great thing to look up from my reading table and see every child doing what they needed to be doing. Working on paperwork, reading, taking tests, etc. There was very little monkey business. I probably should retire. I'm not sure it will ever be this good again.

On Wednesday, May 19, we will have a read-a-thon. The kids can bring a pillow, blanket, stuffed animal, etc. to curl up with and read. If you would like to send a snack or drink to share during the day, that would be great. We will do Monster Sandwiches for lunch. It will be our last fling!!!

On Thursday we will scrub desks and get everything cleaned and stacked for the summer. If your child isn't going to be in school on that day please let me know. I think it is important that they learn to clean up the things they have used. I will have them do it earlier. Plus they have things to take home.

I'm sure we are missing a lot of books. Please check around your house to see if you have any of them. Books are expensive and you know the state of the school budget.

Thanks for sharing your children with me. They have been a real blessing!!!

Have a great week.




No comments: