Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 16

This week's story is a biography called "Tomas Rivera." Tomas was a young boy who picked crops with his family. He developed a love for reading and writing. He grew up to be an author and a teacher. The phonics sounds we will be working with this week are qu and wh. The wh sound is particularly hard because the kids don't really say wh anymore. They replace it with the sound of just w. This story also seems to be the story that takes us into a whole new reading level. It will get way more difficult from here on out. The new vocabulary words are:
about
books
by
family
grew
read
work
writing

In math we will continue working with the facts of 10 and learning them to automaticity. We will also be learning about place value. We will be doing ones and tens.

Questions of the Week
Monday - Tell me 5 things you see that let you know that Christmas is coming.
Tuesday - Tell me 5 things you hear that let you know that Christmas is coming.
Wednesday - Tell me 5 things you taste that let you know that Christmas is coming.
Thursday - Tell me 5 things you smell that let you know that Christmas is coming.
Friday - Tell me 5 things you touch that let you know that Christmas is coming.

Is anyone willing to contact parents to organize the Christmas party. I have a craft and a game. I will need paper goods and food. It will be in the morning on the 17th. Seems like donuts and hot chocolate might be a good thing. Also can someone do tree shaped sugar cookies that the kids can decorate??? I even have a cutter if someone will do them. We would need green frosting also. I have all kinds of sprinkles, etc. to decorate them.

Have a great week.


No comments: