Monday, January 5, 2009

Week 18

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

This week we will be reading a nonfiction story called "Friends Forever".  The new vocabulary words are:
each
great
other
place
school
talk
together

In math we will be starting Book 2.  We finished Book 1 right before Christmas Vacation.  This week we will be covering other names of numbers, turn around facts, and  fact families.  We will be reviewing in/out boxes and tens and ones.  Occasionally I will be sending home math sheets when we hit a concept that is difficult.  Sometimes just some extra practice and one on one time with you can help clarify a concept.

Spelling is a concern.  Only 7 children in the class have passed at least one spelling test per week.  I will be attaching spelling practice sheets to this letter.  I'd like your child to do one of these each night.  Maybe that will get us moving and make us more successful.  I will also be looking at other means of practice in the room.

I am also a bit disappointed that I haven't given out any AR shirts yet.  I have 2 that are close.  We will start having AR lunches in the room.  Students that have passed 4 tests per week will be invited to come.  This will happen on Thursdays.  Once a shirt is earned the child will be expected to wear the shirt on Thursday.  

I have set some individual goals for the students, which include handwriting, organization, neatness, and behavior.  It will be like our New Year's resolutions.

I hope you had a great holiday.  

No comments: