Friday, October 14, 2011

Week 10

There is a lot of information in the blog this week. Please read ALL of it.

This week's story is called "Where Do Frogs Come From?" It is a non fiction story about the life cycle of frogs. The kids really seem to enjoy non fiction stories. The new phonics skill is /ng/ as in the word song. The new vocabulary words are:
eat
from
gone
grows
or
two

Spelling will change this week. We will start individualized spelling. I expect each child to pass at least one test per week. Everyone will start on List 1. If they miss only 1 they can move on to the next list. Each child has a book of spelling lists in their desks to use for practice. The words are also available on the blog. The link is on the side under spelling. Remember we are now linked on the elks.net website.

Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 24. The information came home on Thursday in the backpacks.

There will be an information meeting on the bond issue on Oct 19th.

I am ready to order the T-shirts. If you have not sent your money, please do as soon as you can. I am looking forward to getting them.

The uncle of one of the students is serving in the war zone. We are going to adopt him as a pen pal. We will write letters, etc. I'd like for us to collect things for goodie boxes to send once in a while. There will be a box that the kids can put non-parishable items in to send to him.

I have purchased brag tags. They are really fun!!! They will be awarded by different means: some by achieving goals (math timed tests, AR, spelling, writing, etc) and some just happen (Valentines Day, birthday, etc) and some by my judgement call. I am going to visit with each child about some goals I would like for them to achieve. When they have done that, they will receive an award tag. The tags are on a long chain necklace. They will remain at school. They will be allowed to wear them home when they receive a new tag. I want them to celebrate that with you. Please return it the next day. They will be kept on hooks in the room. If grandma comes and you would like your child to share his/her achievements with that special person, write me a note and we will send it home that day. LOST TAGS WILL NOT BE REPLACED.

I am planning the Halloween Party. It will be on Halloween at 12:10. I would like to do these things. Make mummies, make spooky eyeballs, and decorate pumpkin shaped cookies. We can eat 2 of the items and then I would like to make a monster style veggie tray to serve also with some apple cider to drink. This is the item list I need. Let me know what you can provide. If someone has already signed up for it, I will ask you to send something else. I am trying to make this a small cost for everyone. I already have plates, cups and napkins. Each child will need to bring a roll of toilet paper. Needed items are:
30 small powdered doughnuts
30 red gummy lifesavers
4 tubes of red gel frosting
30 pumpkin shaped sugar cookies
2 tubs of white frosting
3 bottles of apple cider
1 bunch leafy lettuce (not iceberg)
1 bunch broccoli
1 head cauliflower
2 English cucumbers
1 bag carrot slices
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 can black olive slices
1 bunch radishes
1 large bottle ranch dressing
2 moms to help

I will need the veggies at school on Friday, Oct. 28 so I can use them to make the tray.

Thanks for reading all this. Have a great week!



No comments: