Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 18

The story this week is called "Friends Forever."  It is a non-fiction story.  The phonics sound for the week is 'le' as in the word middle.  The new vocabulary words are:
   each
   great
   other
   place
   school
   talk
   together


In math, we will finish the unit on subtraction by learning about fact families.  Then we will start a new unit on telling time. We will only do on the hour this week.  We will start doing timed tests to begin building automaticity with math facts.  I would like the facts to 10 to be automatic by the end of the year.


I am pushing spelling. Your child should pass List 10 this week at the very least.  I am trying to get those that are behind caught up.  I hope you will help your child practice the spelling lists at home.  They are on the blog and also in the book I sent home with you.


I am having the kids spend more time on self selected reading. They are starting to work on AR.  My goal for them is to become fluent readers and they will only do that by reading.


Congratulations to Torren for earning his AR shirt.  I have 2 more boys who are very close. 


Our shirts should be here Monday or Tuesday.  FINALLY!!!  Hopefully your child will come home wearing one, one day this week.


I sent home new exercise logs.  Please check your child's SMART book for it.  


Have a great week.



No comments: